Sunday, October 30, 2011

Portland - Week 3

There is beauty in the moisture, and the clouds here in Portland.

1. I've already commented on the wonderful colors, but one night this week, I noticed glowing trees! Maybe its a Halloween mystery, but I seriously had to drive by a couple of times to figure out if my eyes were playing tricks on me. I couldn't really capture it with my camera, but here are the best shots of the glowing trees.


Such bright colors glowing in the dark!



2. There is moss everywhere. I recognize that this could create some issues, but it is also beautiful and bright green!





3. HUGE LEAVES! I saw this leaf on the side of the road on my walk. I decided it was worth carrying the rest of the way.



You can't even see my head behind it!



5. I went for a walk/run yesterday and was amazed by all of the leaves on the ground with perfect droplets of water just sitting there. It was around 1 in the afternoon and the water was just sitting there! I was walking by bushes that looked like they had little diamonds inside because of all of the water droplets on them. It was so beautiful as the light would catch those drops.





Now that my nature appreciation has been taken care of...

Church was inspiring today. There are so many beliefs that were strengthened by confirmation of the Spirit, but I also realized that I need to do better at so many things. My actions are not speaking very loudly lately. I feel I've been self absorbed in a lot of aspects. Yes, I know, a lot has been going on...but that is always the case. And aren't we taught that true service and love is when we reach out to others no matter the circumstances, and even more when it is not at all convenient? I just kept thinking over and over today that I need to stop having a timetable, stop having an agenda. I know that it is important to plan and have structure, but sometimes I think I let that get in the way of following the promptings that guide me to help those around me, or lead me to experiences that will strengthen me and help me to become my best.

In our joint meeting, our bishop asked how we show love to those around us. There were several comments, but I thought of families. In a family you love each other for who they are, for their individual characteristics, their quarks and even their crazies :) But I think that love also grows as we know who they are and what we all have the capacity to be. We begin to see those we love as the people they can become, the best part of them. There is encouragement as we see each other through trials, joys, sadness, falling down and getting back up. No matter who the person is, you love them, you care, you don't let them go it alone.

But how do we show this for those outside of our families? How do we extend our circle? Especially when our associations change so often. This is where I feel I am struggling right now. I don't know many people and they don't know me. How do you share the love of the Savior, the pure love that overcomes everything with those you hardly know? I think that I am pretty open to loving others, but I think it takes a bit of warming up to "let it all out there."

For the millionth time in my life, I have been reminded that I need to not shy away from opening myself up to those around me. I need to sincerely reach out, even if its uncomfortable, even if I feel awkward, or feel like others will think I'm weird. Sharing that love is worth it. I am worth it and so is the other person. We don't have to go it alone, no matter our circumstances. Love is what it is all about!

"All of us, single or married, are eternally part of some family—someway, somewhere, somehow—and much of our joy in life comes as we correctly recognize and properly develop those family relationships. We come to this earth charged with a mission: to learn to love and serve one another. To best help us accomplish this, God has placed us in families, for he knows that is where we can best learn to overcome selfishness and pride and to sacrifice for others and to make happiness and helpfulness and humility and love the very essence of our character." -John H. Groberg


3 comments:

Stephanie Lee said...

Hey Whit! I'm so happy you're blogging more these days. I love reading what you're up to in your new Portland adventures. I miss you! I hope everything is going well for you. I love you and think of you often! xxx

Camille Powell said...

Um, I LOVE you blogging every week! Keep it up :). I'm proud of you Whitney and I've said it once but I'll say it again (except a little different text). I'm so glad your sharing your Whit-love. That's something that must be shared with others, cause it's powerful and awesome and just great. LOVE YOU!

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

I enjoyed your beautiful pics and thanks for the beautiful words too...things I need to be better at!Love you!